Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Circle of Blessings

I grew up in the Catholic Church, and every Sunday my parents let me put the offering in the plate.  I thought I was big stuff putting that envelope in the plate.  It felt good to me to be able to participate at church.  I didn't know what it meant or what was in the envelope, but I liked feeling important and a part of something, and I knew that it was for Jesus.

Isn't it funny how our young and innocent minds work.  I was just excited to put an envelope in a plate because I knew that it was a gift to Jesus!  Well, now in my adult years, I have a much better understanding of what the offering is for and why we are called to do it.  It means something more to me now and I enjoy it for different reasons, but one reason remains the same...because it is for the Kingdom of Jesus.

I have also run across times of financial hardship, when I couldn't put as much in the "plate" as I would like to.  And because of my financial constraints, I give what I can.  This doesn't always mean money in the plate.  Sometimes, for me, it looks like giving people things that I have, which they can use.  And when I don't have any worldly possessions to give away, I give the most important thing to people.....time.   I give away my things and time to people who need them because that what God calls us to, even if I need that item too.  Someone may need something more than I do....so away it goes. 

What has been revealed to me in the recent days, is that God LOVES this.  This has never come full circle for me before, like it has now.  I know he loves this because he shows me by lavishing me with other blessings in life.  I have recently been blessed by friends extending a helping hand with my kids, pampering me to a spa day, cooking me meals, and dropping off gifts for my children.  I also have received random gifts of diapers (at just the right time, I might add).  He blessed me with a work at home opportunity which brings in a little financial cushion each month.  It amazes me how God uses people in my life to bless me.  And I know that this is by no mistake.  By taking on the attitude of giving, which He calls us believers to, he continues the circle of giving and blessings.  How simple, yet so difficult for many of us to do.

I admit, sometimes it is hard to part with something that I need.  Or hard to give someone a little of my time, when I am so pressed for it.  But I am amazed at how the circle comes back around and blesses me even more in the end.  I am so thankful that my parents modeled this behavior for me in church every Sunday.  If not for them showing me this simple "giving" attitude, I might struggle more with this, and I might not be as blessed as I am now.  My husband always asks me "why do people like you so much?"  My answer is usually...."I don't know, but I know God loves me." 

Being obedient to our parents doesn't stop when we become adults.  I have to remember to be obedient to my Heavenly Father as well!  I am so blessed!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment