Thursday, March 24, 2011

Being Thrifty in the Home

So lately I have been asked "how are you going to survive on just Kris' salary?"  I know, he is a teacher and we all know that teachers are underpaid, and my accounting career was far more lucrative than his.  However, staying home with my kids was of utmost importance to me, so I took a look at our finances and figured out how to make more of our expendable cash.  Here's what I came up with!

While grocery shopping the other day, I took a stroll down the cleaning isle.  I am a clean freak and like things sanitized and clean.  Now clutter is another story...clutter happens in my house and I can't seem to get my hands around that, but I do know that everything is sanitized and clean!  With me being so type A about this subject, I obviously invest in wonderful yet expensive cleaning products.  One of my ultimate favorites is Soft Scrub.  I can use this everywhere, in the kitchen, bathrooms, baseboards, outdoors, car tires, etc....however, Soft Scrub is expensive!  Another one of my addictions is Lysol antibacterial wipes.  Again, I can use these everywhere, but they are very expensive.  Also, I love to "go green" where I can, and we all know that most "green" products are more expensive than the non green ones.  When totaling up all the cleaning products that I use monthly, I spend close to $40!  To some $40 is a toss in the bucket.  But to me, now living on my husband's teacher salary, $40 is a month worth of formula for my kids.  So this made me reconsider other options.

My grandmother is a very smart woman!  When she was here for the birth of the twins, she let me in on a secret.  A vinegar secret!  She diluted vinegar with water to make a cleaning agent for my windows and mirrors.  Let me tell you, this works better than any Windex product made!!!  No streaks and absolute shine!!!  So it got me wondering, what else can vinegar do?  I did some vinegar research and learned that vinegar is actually a natural disinfectant.  Yes, I said natural...meaning GREEN!  This is the cheapest "green" cleaner I have encountered.  It is $1.00 at most stores and diluted down with water, this bottle lasts me 3-6 months!  When mixed with bleach, vinegar turns into a super antibacterial fighter.  It is the perfect way to disinfect my kitchen yet clean my wooden chopping boards.  It is also safe for the kids!  I mop with it, clean toilets, mirrors, windows, countertops, baseboards, door knobs, the fridge, stovetop, etc.  This is the best thing since sliced bread.  I think I just eliminated or seriously squashed my $40 monthly expense on cleaning products!!!!  Want more proof...check out http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-as-a-disinfectant.html.  Another great website which explains many uses for vinegar is http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7.

Now we all know that there are certain expenses that cannot be eliminated, such as groceries, laundry detergent, dish washing soap and so forth.  For these items, I use www.athriftymom.com.  This is an awesome website where deals are shown when coupled with coupons.  There are also links on her website to print coupons to your printer.  I saved $150 last month while grocery shopping for all the regular items that I normally buy.  $150 is an electricity bill, half a car payment, a cell phone bill, another 2 months of formula or groceries!!!!

When thinking back to my childhood, my mom stayed home with us.  I loved having her pick me up from school and coming home to help her cook dinner.  I never remember going to get a mother daughter mani/pedi, or going to the mall...but I do remember the sweet time I spent with her in the home and around the home.  Today's woman has become super charged with a career and a "do it all" mentality.  There is nothing wrong with this - I used to be the same way before children entered my life.  But, with kids in the picture, the "do it all" superwoman mentality that I was living sure did place a huge sacrifice on time with my kids.  I had to line up my priorities and sacrifice other things rather than time with my kids.  I had to sacrifice financially.  I gave up a car (yes we went down to 1 car for the family), I gave up a well paid career, I gave up name brand items for store or generic brands, I gave up my monthly mani/pedi's and getting my hair done, and I gave up my shopping addiction.  I never realized how many things I used to spend money on that didn't add any value to my life.  I just bought things to "have" them.  Well, all these "things" are getting ready for a yard sale and I am purging my life of the excess to fill up my life with the abundance of time for my family!  No more take out meals, no more rushing around, no more stressed out mom/wife.  I am going "old school" and doing it grandma style!  Her generation had it right!!!

To answer the question that I have been getting lately, "how are you going to survive on Kris' salary?", my answer is simple....I'm simplifying my life and frugalizing (one of my own word creations) my expenses.

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of you and the decision you made! you can't put a price on spending time with your children.

    ReplyDelete