Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The twins: 6 months

Whew....that was me taking a deep breath in and out as I sit down to write this blog.  Being a mom is exhausting.  I just want to put that right out there.  Being a mom of twins is super exhausting!  My world has been changing so fast, as are the babies.  I am ever evolving into a mom, which is very exciting, sometimes scary, and downright underrated.  It occurred to me recently, how much sacrifice my own mother endured to raise my brother and I.  I never knew self sacrifice like I now know it and I suppose that I never appreciated my mom for all she did for me until now.

Lately, I am running in circles trying to keep everyone happy...especially my wonderful husband who works so hard for us.  From 5am - midnight I am on the ground running.  No, not in the literal sense, though sometimes it feels like it. 

My little Kaitlyn is turning into a high maintenance little girl already.  I am not sure how to curb this attitude that she is getting, and I'm not sure that I am supposed to.  This very well could be me paying for my raising.   She is the most beautiful little version of me.  She is mild mannered, until she gets upset, for which she pitches a full fledged temper tantrum filled with the pouty bottom lip action and all.  I have no idea where or how she learned this, but it is pretty comical to watch her pout out her bottom lip, puff up her cheeks and well up with tears.  I have decided to ignore her when she does this, as to not promote it or draw attention to what she is doing.  Hopefully she will learn that such behavior doesn't get her what she wants, which is more of my attention. 

She is so observant - always surveying the room and the situation until she fills satisfied that she knows exactly what is going on.  She is also ahead of her time, which I know is a trait that comes from me.  She is very vocal and loves to hear her own voice.  Her little laugh just melts my heart and brings me so much joy.  At 4 1/2 months, my little stinker started teething!  I couldn't believe it....but it was true.  She sprouted her first tooth at 5 months and is working on the second one.  Her sheer determination to do what is beyond her chronological capability has allowed her to begin crawling.  Yes, the little angel is on her hands and knees just determined to get somewhere.  It is fun to watch her as she rocks back and forth and gets her knees moving, but hasn't quite figured out her hand placement.  Oh Lord help me when that day comes!  Overall, miss Katie Bear, Katie Bug, Sweet Pea, Kate D, is a joy!  She is a spitting image of me (except she has the most gorgeous blue eyes) and I love her with my whole heart.



Mr. Knox is a firecracker.  His temperament is so mild and he is generally happy most of the day.  He is a spitting image of his daddy and uses his eyebrows just like Kris.  It is hilarious to watch the faces he makes and see Kris through him.  He is a ticklish little thing and I take advantage of every second I can get my hands on him.  He cracks up at everything....even when I undress him.  He thinks that it is funny to watch mommy change his diaper, especially when it is a poopy one.  He just laughs and laughs as I gag and gag!  He is a professional roller, and by that I mean he has learned how to move himself across the room just by rolling.  He has no interest in trying to crawl or scoot....but he loves it when I stand him up on his feet!  He smiles and laughs as if he is doing something big by standing up on my lap.  He thrusts his little hips in a swivel motion and just smiles!  Kris likes to rap to him and Knox just eats it up.  He loves it when his daddy holds him, talks to him or plays with him.  There are no teeth for Knox yet, but I think this is normal.  Kaitlyn is just a little ahead of the curve.  He is my little man and I just adore him!



Overall, my kids are happy and healthy!  I couldn't ask for more.  I am tired and blessed....and on most days I would die to just be able to have 5 minutes to myself doing nothing but sitting in the bubble bath, or standing in a hot shower.  Being a twin mom is a journey, for which God has equipped me.  I believe that all my trials and struggles up till now have developed a strength in me that has allowed me to handle two babies at one time.  At times, I want to throw my hands up and ask "why God, why twins?  couldn't we have started off with one first?" but then I look at my life and I see so much joy that both of my children bring into my life and my marriage and I know that God knew about the plans He had for me all along!

No comments:

Post a Comment